Comfort Food for Thought

"Comforting Words for your Spirit"

Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Hat's the Thing

As I was leaving my house this morning, in the pouring rain, I grabbed my Garden Hat in lieu of an umbrella. This big floppy hat was just the ticket to keep me dry & keep my hands free. As I kissed my son goodbye, he looked up at me and said, “Mom - you look terrible. Why are you wearing that hat”?

Hmmm, I thought. Do I really look that bad? Should I care? Should I listen to his ‘point-of-view’? Well, I thought I looked pretty good, and since I wasn’t about to enter any beauty contests, I thanked him for sharing and left for the store.

Now, at the store I had a very different experience with my hat. A man coming down the aisle came right up to me and said, “You really make that hat look good!” Wow! Was he talking to me? Was he seeing the same hat? Do I really look good? Should I care? Should I listen to his ‘point-of-view’? I thanked him for his compliment and with a big smile on my face I continued on my way.

Who’s right? My son, a stranger, or ….. myself??? How often to we let the ‘outside’ world tell us what to think about ourselves on the ‘inside’ ! Let your own light shine - no matter what the world says - whether it’s raining outside - it’s always bright and sunny in Spirit!

The ‘Hats‘ the thing! Wear yours proudly!

No comments:

Post a Comment